Admissions Counselor (TEAK Alumni)
The TEAK Fellowship is a ten-year enrichment program that offers New York City students from under-resourced communities intensive after school and summer academic classes, transformational cultural experiences, secondary school, and college guidance, a vibrant internship program, and a robust support system. TEAK students earn admission/financial aid at our Nation’s most prestigious academic institutions and graduate from them determined to make an impact on communities in need of their contributions and leadership.
TEAK is seeking a TEAK Alum to serve as an Admissions Counselor. The ideal candidate will join a three-person team to execute the recruitment and enrollment goals under the guidance of the Director of Admissions. The Admissions Counselor will play a vital role in helping the organization grow the program to 450 students over the next ten years. Providing direct support to families as they navigate the complex application process is one of the most critical aspects of the position. Interested applicants will share a passion for the mission of the organization, strong communication abilities, and meticulous organizational skills.
- Engage in outreach to school partners, community centers, libraries, churches, and other organizations to help promote The TEAK Fellowship and recruit qualified applicants to TEAK.
- Assist in planning and executing all recruitment events; managing event registrations, such as Information Sessions and testing dates through TEAK’s website and inquiry phone line; communicating with families to confirm attendance.
- Co-present virtually (Zoom) and /or in person at information sessions held throughout NYC.
- Communicate with families and school counselors throughout the admissions process, from inquiries to final admission decisions.
- Manage admissions inquiries from the TEAK website and phone line and follow up with families promptly.
- Help create and maintain applicants’ electronic files; meticulously manage applicants through their admissions process, including document upload, process workflows, decisions, and other critical pieces of information.
- Serve as the primary monitor of the TEAK Admissions email account; answer all email inquiries and / or distribute accordingly to the Associate Director of Admissions or Director of Admissions.
- Update and maintain admissions database with contact information for school partners, CBOs, inquiries, and applicants.
- Proctor admissions test for prospective applicants 3 weekends a year.
- Assist with all recruitment administrative tasks and processes
- Serve as a member of the Admissions Committee (read files, participate in Admissions Committee selection meetings, interview applicants/families).
- Ability to navigate platforms/systems and standardized processes such as evaluation rubrics and testing data to drive decision-making.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Commitment to TEAK’s mission of educational access and success for underrepresented populations.
- Dynamic interpersonal communication skills to work with a broad range of TEAK’s constituents, including parents/guardians and students, school partners, and CBOs.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule – some Saturday and evening work is required from September through June.
- Open to learning how to use a database. (Ravenna and Salesforce)
- Ability to prioritize with attention to detail.
- Ability to travel throughout the five boroughs.
- Excellent administrative, written, and interpersonal skills; Google Suite, Excel expertise a plus.
- Problem solver and team player.
- Comfortability speaking to prospective parents and applicants via telephone, email and in person.
- Fluency in Spanish or any second language is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with clerical work and working in an office setting is strongly preferred.
Job Dates: This is a 10-month temporary position from September 2023 – June 2024
Salary & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. TEAK offers generous benefits, vacation, and retirement packages. The TEAK Fellowship is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to TEAK at [email protected] with the subject line “Admission Counselor Position Inquiry.”